NUS merit scholarship is one of the most sought-after scholarship programs for Singaporeans. This scholarship programs is exclusively reserved for high achieving students with impeccable academic performances, great leadership potentials and participation in extra-curricular activities like membership in clubs, community service, participation in sports activities etc.
Potential candidates for the NUS Merit scholarship programs are those applicants who, in addition to above qualities, are able and willing to give back to the society upon graduation.
ALSO READ: Rhodes Scholarship Application 2022
The NUS Merit scholarship program is of two major categories:
- NUS Global Merit Scholarship
- NUS Merit Scholarship
As an applicant, you should note that you are not required to apply to both programs simultaneously. Here is what you need to do: Submit one common application, you will be automatically considered for both NUS Global Merit Scholarship and NUS Merit scholarship ( if you meet the eligibility criteria).
NUS Scholarship Eligibility criteria:
Before your application for for the NUS Merit Scholarship is considered, there are few criteria you must, first of all, meet. These criteria include:
- You must be a Singaporean
- You must have the potential and qualities of leading others.
- Robust participation in extra curricular activities.
- Possession of impeccable grades in Singapore-Cambridge GCE A Level, local polytechnic diploma, International Baccalaureate diploma, NUS High School diploma or qualifications that are equivalent to these.
- You will be applying for full-time undergraduate programs at NUS.
Those who are interested in fields like Dentistry, Medicine and Music should note that NUS has limited slot for these courses. Therefore, it is important that you make your application as strong as possible. This will go a long way increasing chances of being selected for the NUS Scholarship Award.
- An annual allowance of over S$6,000
- Upon admission, the student will also get a one-time computer allowance of S$2,000
- Guaranteed an offer of a 1-semester Student Exchange Programme (SEP) with one of NUS’ overseas partner universities
- Guaranteed offers of on-campus accommodation for the first 2 years of undergraduate studies, provided the Scholar submits a complete hostel admission application every year by the 2nd round of application windows, and fulfils NUS’s eligibility criteria for NUS on-campus accommodation. This guarantee applies only to the halls of residence and student residences, and not to the residential colleges.
- Scholarship is bond-free
NUS Merit Scholarship Application:
Now, it is time you applied for the NUS Merit Scholarship. Follow these steps:
- Download the scholarship application guideline HERE
- Complete and submit the application form
- After submitting the form, you will be required to complete and submit documents like CCA records (at the scholarship uploading facility), Submit one referee report (to be submitted online separately by your JC/Polytechnic/High School Principal or Tutor).
- NUS Scholarships applicants will be assessed on their suitability for the scholarships, based on the strength of their applications and their performance in the scholarship selection interview(s), if shortlisted. This is with the exception of the following: NUS Scholarships applicants who have selected Dentistry, Law, and/or Medicine as their top choices of courses, and are shortlisted for the Dentistry/Law/Medicine admission tests/interviews, will be assessed on their suitability for the scholarships based on their performance in the Dentistry/Law/Medicine admission tests/interviews. Further scholarship selection interview(s) may also be conducted for such applicants.
- NUS Scholarships applicants who have already been offered admission to Dentistry, Law or Medicine in previous years, will be assessed on their suitability for the scholarships based on their performance in the Dentistry/Law/Medicine admission tests/interviews in the year that they were offered admission. Again, further scholarship selection interview(s) may also be conducted for such applicants.
- Applicants shortlisted for selection interview(s) will be informed via e-mail. Selection interviews will be conducted from late-March onwards, and applicants will be informed of their scholarship application outcomes by late-May. Please ensure that you are available to attend the interviews in order to be considered for scholarships. Your scholarship application will be withdrawn if you are unable to attend any scheduled selection interview(s) without valid reason(s).
- NUS reserves the right not to award any scholarship if there are no candidates of sufficient merit. The decision of the selection committee is final. Enquiries or disputes surrounding its decisions will not be entertained.
NUS merit scholarship deadline:
The deadline for the scholarship application is 19 March 2022.
NUS merit scholarship essay:
The NUS scholarship essay is a 2000 character short essay for the NUS merit scholarship programs. While writing this essay, there are certain things which the scholarship committee expect to see and you should always use that as a pivot in your essay.
First, they want you to show your ability to express yourself through your essay. You can write about literally anything as long as it is in line with the topic but do not focus much on your past achievements and positions as you will be required to submit documents that will serve as proofs.
Also, let the scholarship committee see how you will be able to give back to school by the time you are done with your academics.
Goodluck in your applications.